Thursday, March 15, 2007

Thoughts for March 19

I have to say that I enjoyed these readings more than I thought I would. The idea of copyright seemed like such a boring topic, but I learned so much and am interested in discussing this topic more.

Lessig's chapter from "Free Culture" was very interesting. Reading about the history of copyright laws in the US was fascinating and it opened my eyes to new thoughts. I do feel as though it is a conspiracy for big businesses who dominate the market to fight for laws that continue to give them more money. Heck, in 95 years, if people even remember who you are, no one will care what you wrote! (Ok, so this may be stretching it, but hopefully you get my point.)

I think it's interesting to consider how these laws might effect control of culture and control of publishing. Lessig states, "the English limited the term of copyright so as to assure that a few would not exercise disproportionate control over culture by exercising disproportionate control over publishing" (p. 131). Yet, with all the laws that have been added and the changes to copyright laws that have been added over the years, I still question whether a large minority are trying to control culture. It's an interesting thought.

I agree with Lessig's claim that this must be rethought because of the Internet and changes in technology in society. This has revolutionized how information is distributed and everyone involved should sit and re-evaluate how these laws fit into this new literacy. In some ways I don't feel they can have the kind of control they would like and I don't feel they should be allowed to have this kind of control. A good discussion point though.

I laughed out loud when Lessig described how some of his e-books have the disclaimer that they cannot be read aloud. Seriously! What is the world coming to?!

I loved Lessig's final statement: "The opportunity to create and transform becomes weakened in a world in which creation requires permission and creativity must check with a lawyer" (p. 173).
Certainly something to make one think.

I did find Shannon's article interesting. I enjoyed the viewpoint of looking at what is going on with education and curriculum from a Marxists view. I felt he made some valid points and I must say I agree with his feelings on these scripted programs.

No comments: