Thursday, April 12, 2007

Thoughts for April 16

I enjoyed these readings. I enjoyed the second reading that was online because I felt it was a good refresher of what we talked about earlier in the semester. It was nice to read it and understand what was being talked about. I even felt myself drawing things from it that I could have used to answer my first question on the mid-term!

Yes there were certain quotes that stood out to me, but there was a common thought I had throughout both readings was about bringing in these new literacies that are literally changing everyday into the classroom. I thought back to a comment that I believe Amy made during a previous class about more experienced teachers having to learn new technologies. I know that many teacher are resistent to these technology changes because of their unfamiliarity with technology. So it caused me to ask a few questions.

I guess the big question is how do we educators keep up with the fast paced changes that are being made with technology? How much of it do we have to know in order to help our students learn and understand these new literacies? Do you have to know a lot or do we just need to have an understanding of how important they are and be able to explain that to our students? I think of myself: I feel I know a good amount about technology and can certainly do what I need to do. But I know that just when I feel like I know what I need to know, ten more things have popped up and I'm behind already. Hence, why I have so many choices for my multiliteracy final activity. So I just wonder how much do I need or have to know in order to help my students?

Anyway, I do like how these readings and this topic got me thinking. I'm looking forward to our conversation about it. Plus, I'm really excited about the project and learning something new. I've started and experienced that fearful feeling of having no idea what I'm doing! I love people who are patient and can explain things clearly!!!

No comments: